Have you ever wondered about the true meaning behind roses?
There are many flowers, herbs, trees, and other plants that traditionally symbolize emotions, feelings, or thoughts, so I thought I would put together a list to help you navigate the flower meaning matrix. I made that last bit up there is no flower meaning matrix, Neo is not going to dodge some flying flowers and you will not find a secret pill but you will find an informative guide to the meaning of flowers and hopefully learn something new.
The symbolical meaning of flowers and plants continues to be acknowledged by many countries and cultures throughout the centuries for many reasons. Practically all sentiments can be expressed through the giving of flowers or plants sonnets, folklore, mythologies and plays of the Egyptians, Romans, ancient Greeks and the Chinese are scattered with the symbolism of flowers and plants.
The meaning behind a bouquet of flowers has long fascinated people over many hundreds of years, William Shakespeare, for instance, has involved flowers in his plays quite considerably, wildflowers and mischief in a midsummer night’s dream and herbs and tragedy in Hamlet to name just a few.
Flowers which symbolise feelings or emotions
People tend to make their gardens look and feel like a certain way so use flowers which symbolise their feelings or emotions, for instance, Roses tend to have special meanings for most people, probably due to their use in main steam gift giving. However, I bet most people don’t know the true meaning of the rose they are giving!
Now let us take Roses, for instance, a Rose is a defacto symbol of passion and of course love, the ancient Greeks and Romans associated roses with Aphrodite and Venus, goddesses of love but there are many types of Rose and just as many meanings.
- White Roses – Purity, Secrecy, Innocence, Reverence, Worthiness
- Red Roses – Love, Respect, Courage, Passion, Well Done, congratulations
- Pink Roses – Happiness, Elegance, Romance, Admiration, Sweetness, Thank You
- Yellow Roses – Friendship, Caring, Welcome or Welcome Back, Joy
- Orange Roses – Are a bit of a conflict whereas red roses mean passion and yellow friendship, orange is a mix of both so they can mean Desire, Enthusiasm, Pride or Happiness
- Peach Roses – Appreciation, Sincerity, Gratitude, Modesty
- Lavender or Purple Roses – Failing in love at first sight
- Black Roses – Some think that a black rose symbolises death but it can also mean rebirth or the beginning of something new
Now that just addresses Roses, there are a plethora of other flowers out there, far too many for me to go into in just one post but I hope you get the idea that you need to think a little before send that bunch of flowers to your latest flame as you need to know just what message you are sending!
If you like and enjoy my posts please do comment below and share with your friends.